CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

When I heard the learn'd astronomer, By: Walt Witman


When I heard the learn'd astronomer, By Walt Witman is a great book full of imagination. When reading the book you can look at all the amazing pictures and see what is exactly going on in the book. The pictures are so real you feel as though you are there with the little boy. At first he cares around his small rocket ship and goes and looks at all the different diagrams and models. Eventually he goes out doors and imagines in the stars that his space ship is flying. This book is full of amazing art work and really makes the reader use their imagination. Sometimes reading a book takes imagination. This would be a great book to read to students and have them imagine flying a rocket ship or what they think the stars look like at night.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Ashley! I do agree that the story and the pictures balance well with one another. I also think that this book could be used for a good craft lesson. I really enjoyed the book and thought the illustrator did a fantastic job.

Tara @ Dashing in Pearls said...

Hi love! I also love how the illustrations tell the story! It allows the reader to use so much of their own imagination and I think that it can definitely be used for some craft lessons.

René Saldaña, Jr. said...

What is wonderful about this book is that when I first read the poem, several years ago, not in this picture book format but out of Whitman's LEAVES OF GRASS, I never imagined it from a child's point of view. I never imagined the rocketship, or the pond, or the doodling. I didn't even imagine the lecture hall quite like this. But here it is. Loren did a great job interpreting the text. Like Tara says, "It allows the reader to use so much of [his/her] own imagination."