CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, July 21, 2008

UPSIDE DOWN and BACKWARDS, BY: Diane Bertrand


This book was so much fun to read. It has a bunch of different stories built in the same book. I like the stories because they explain real life things that can happen. Diana's Party, was a chapter in the book. In the chapter Luis has to stay with his aunt, TIa Anita. He is suppose to go to a friends party and Tia tries to give him a powder puff, he tries to explain how he has a gift card. She thinks that is just rediculous. In the end he realizes his anut isnt so bad and her present wasn't either. I also readlly like how the stories are both in english and in spanish. This would be a great book for a class read, because if a child doesnt know english well, they still will know what is going on. The cover on both sides is the same one in spanish and one in english, I also like this because it doesnt show which side is more important.

3 comments:

René Saldaña, Jr. said...

I love what Arte Publico/Piñata Books is doing with bilingual books. And to think, they are right here in Texas, Houston, as a matter of fact. They've got a ton of other titles that we could be using in our classrooms that are also bilingual. Another Texas press that is doing similar work is Cinco Puntos Press out of El Paso. They're the ones who published the book that Christian read aloud today, THE LONG JOURNEY OF MR. POOP and LUCHA LIBRE that Carmen read the other day.

Jesica said...

Ashley, I agree with you 100%! I really liked this book too, and I was surprised at how the book was put together. I liked the individual stories brought together in one english-spanish book!

Unknown said...

Hey Ashley! I enjoyed this book as well. I do think that this book has real life stories that maybe young readers would be able to relate to. And the stories are short which may encourage struggling readers to want to read this book.